Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Courtesans and De-motivation Harpies


Ever have one of those days where your get-up-and-go seems to have been gang raped by the de-motivation harpies?

Yeah. Me too.

I don’t blame this on the holidays being over or the nearly three weeks of constant snow we’ve been having or even the cold that’s trying to invade and put my life on hold while I chug medicine like a hobo.
 It just me.
 Just being locked away without much social contact to speak of and the pile of things I need to work on (Projects I’m really excited by) seeming to loom large and nasty in the corner while I wrestle with this apathetic bla feeling.
Ah to be a creative, eh? We so do it to ourselves.

But enough with the moping and on to some cool/ pretties.

So a while back I had an idea for a story. I don’t like to say it was a Steampunk story because while I like the Steampunk ascetic, Love it in fact, Steampunk stories seem to be getting pretty watered down and homogenized. Having a steam powered baboon and a girl in a corset and gasmask is not the heart of a great Steampunk story.
Just sayin’.

Any-who I came up with a story I called NEON & GASLIGHT: COURTISANS. I was so enthused by the idea I launched into a series of photo shoots for it before I actually knew what the completed project would be. Never wise. The upshot was some great images and a chance to work with some really talented models. The down side? Still no finished story in sight. Thing is because I was still working out what the story should be I ended up creating and re-creating it. Then shelving it in frustration.
It’s a problem I’ve always had, rushing in where Angels fear to tread. Also known as chasing the “shinny”.
Well, about a month ago a turn of phrase sprouted in my head and became a title. Don’t ask me where it came from, I haven’t the foggiest, but with the phrase came a story and a lynch-pin for NEON & GASLIGHT. After a week I had the bones and sinew of the story and it’s now #4 in the queue of stories to finish.

Here’s the promo poster inspired by said phrase.


Modeling is the wicked-cool Cherry Valance. She came to the shoot wearing her character like a cape and just did a stunning job. Her pictures really inspired the story and character. She created a palpable crazy menace that was great fun to shoot.

So there you have it. A peek into my twisted cranium and a teaser poster. Take that de-motivation harpies!
You know, now that I’ve done the blog I think I’ll crack on with that new image I couldn’t wrap my head around last night. 
Hmm. Seems like there’s a lesson in here somewhere.

Just sayin’.

‘Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment